Whom We Serve
Admission is open to students from all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds. There are no selective academic admissions requirements to attend; however, priority is given to families from the six North Philadelphia ZIP codes surrounding the school (19121, 19122, 19123, 19130, 19132, and 19133), including the three poorest ZIP codes in the City of Philadelphia.
Here is a snapshot of our children and families:
- Four hundred fifty children grades Pre-K through 8 attend Gesu School.
- Approximately 7% of students are Catholic.
- Approximately one out of five of our Gesu families have incomes below the Federal Poverty Level.
- Approximately one out of three Gesu families have an annual income of less than $30,000.
- Gesu School qualifies 100% for free/reduced breakfast and lunch programs.
- Approximately 50% of students come from single-parent households, and approximately 10% are raised by family members other than their parents.
- If our students attended their local public schools in our priority zip codes instead of Gesu School, most of them would attend some of the poorest performing public schools in Pennsylvania.
*Based on 2017-2018 registration/enrollment data (self-reported)
Our children and families are amazingly resilient in the face of the daily challenges and obstacles they encounter. A Gesu education often opens countless doors and gives our students the tools for a bright, successful future.